Starting/Running Support Groups
Buz Overbeck & Joanie Overbeck
Starting/Running Support Groups is a booklet comprised of individual fact sheets which cover all aspects of establishing a support group for your organization or peers. Each year, more and more people are turning to self-help groups seeking others who have had similar experiences, will listen, and truly understand. And, as society becomes more impersonal and modern day stresses increase, this trend will continue.
This booklet provides complete, detailed information in a concise, bulleted format and includes examples on how to begin, promote, and run groups of various sizes and formats, how to recognize and handle potential problems, when to refer, and other facts you need to know to establish a successful group.
Fact sheets include the following:
- What support groups can/ cannot do -
- Where to begin -
- Forming the support group staff -
- Format, frequency and location -
- Promoting the support group -
- Checklists for group management -
- Establishing ground rules -
- Planning the meeting -
- Facilitating the support group -
- Listening and probing skills -
- Establishing group connections -
And much, much more...
Through GriefNet and help support our work.
Browse Our Bookstore
GriefNet Home Page| First Page of This Section